I like these tips for staying happy - SELF-CARE & SELF LOVE
At first i thot this was narcissistic. I've always felt tht caring for others is utmost important. The motto for Rotary Club comes to mind - "Service Above Self"
But lately, I've come to understand the actual meaning of Self-Care, Self Love. Its a balance between helping others and satisfying your own needs. Not an easy thing to do. If u spend too much energy on yourself, you may become self-centred and demanding.
Sometimes, you have to sacrifice for others and other times you got to look out for your own interest. How do we tell when? Wisdom of age, i guess. Trial & error. SWOT analysis, etc.
Here are 9 self-care essentials from MindBodyGreen.com
1. Feed yourself the best foods when possible. Decide to make food a priority for yourself; even for just a short while. Chances are, you’ll feel better at the end of that process, with increased energy and clarity.
2. Move everyday. Our bodies are made for movement. Find time to move daily and to exercise three days a week.
3. Make sleep a priority. While sleeping, we repair damaged tissues and organs, we metabolize hormones our body no longer needs, and our brains use this time to organize our thoughts and experiences, and to make permanent neurological links (memories) for the learning we experienced that day.
4. Develop a breathing & meditation practice. When we breathe fully, using our diaphragm, the parasympathetic nervous system becomes engaged. This is the rest and relax system of the body, the opposite of the sympathetic nervous system, which engages during times of crisis or arousal, and which for many people is on much of the time.
Allowing the body and mind to believe that all is okay and that it can rest and relax comes with breathing deeply and provides an opportunity for significant repair to the body. Meditation enhances this process further as it allows the brain to change its activity and release calming neurotransmitters.
5. If possible, do something you really enjoy daily. Whatever activity you choose to do, don’t feel guilty about taking the time to do it; remember it’s feeding your soul and increasing your joy.
6. Tweak your supplement routine. Many people are lacking in Vitamin D3, iron, digestive enzymes, probiotics, omega-3 or other key nutrients. Using specific foods will enhance your feeling of wellness and energy.
7. Get outside. Time in nature is extremely restorative. Visually feasting on the beauty and wonder of nature, placing our feet on the earth, our body in water, and breathing in fresh air is a great act of kindness towards out bodies and minds.
8. Make time to be alone.
9. Develop a gratitude practice. Begin your day with an affirmation, something that builds resiliency in your mind and heart. Begin your affirmation with an intention.Then, end your day with gratitude.
Source : http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11589/9-self-care-essentials-to-add-to-your-life.htm